>> Saturday, April 5, 2008
Stepmom Bill of Rights
The Stepmom Bill of Rights is very popular in the "step" world. You will find it posted all over the Internet. The original author is unknown. (If anybody knows who originated this, please let me know. I'd love to give credit.) This list is probably posted all over the United States on refrigerators everywhere. What it boils down to is basic respect. Respect the rules. Respect the relationships. Here is one version of it:
- Our marriage is our first priority, and we will address all issues together.
- I will be a part of the decision making process in my marriage and family at all times.
- People outside the immediate family, including ex-wives, in-laws, or adult children cannot make plans that affect my life without my consent.
- I will not be responsible for the welfare of children for whom I can set no limits.
- I must be consulted about which children will live with us, when they can visit, and how long they will stay.
- I will not solely be responsible for housework – chores will be distributed fairly.
- Others may not violate my private space at home, nor take or use my possessions without my permission.
- I will never be treated as an “outsider” in my own home.
- My husband and stepchildren must treat me with respect.
- I will be consulted on all family financial matters.