While your interests might lie in roasts and hot soups during the chilly winter months, a significant number of Chinese families love the concept of social dining around a good serving of steamboat. Singapore steamboat serves the purpose just fine. While steamboat is popularly known as hot pot and is largely considered to be an Asian version of stew, there are many things that you possibly wouldn’t know about the delicacy. Some of those things are as follows:
1. Steamboat has a soup base: Although vendors sell prepared bases made from peanuts and chilies, people often make their own bases using tomatoes or other similar herbs.
2. The main constituent is meat: Steamboat is becoming popular all across the globe and you could get an assortment of steamboat meat from vendors. The meat includes beef, pork and lamb.
3. Dumplings are also used in making Steamboat: Egg dumplings are mostly used to prepare the delicacy.
4. Usage of seafood: Seafood constitutes one of the primary ingredients of steamboat. The common seafood used includes fishes, squids, shrimps and oysters.
5. Vegetables are a must: Vegetables are largely used to neutralize the significant amount of protein that you would be consuming through steamboat. Leafy vegetables like cabbages and lettuces are primarily used.
6. Mushrooms add to the grandeur: To make the food more protein rich, mushrooms are also used.
7. Tofu is also recommended: To make the taste better, people also add a bit of tofu to the rich offering.
8. Noodles and sauces make it a delicacy: Without noodles and dipping sauces, the taste of steamboat is all but lost. If possible, green onions are added to make the flavour a little better.
9. Ensure sufficient ventilation: As the preparation is fumy, make sure that there is sufficient ventilation for the fume to go out or else a bad odour might emanate after the serving is consumed.
10. Wear casual clothes: The scent of the meats has the ability to permeate clothes. Thus, it is strongly suggested that you stick to the casual while sitting at the table to consume the food.
11. Caring for the leftover: The cooked meat at the end of the dinner could be stored in the refrigerator for a period not extending more than three days.
12. A couple of sets of chopsticks are used: One is used to handle the raw meat and the other is used to eat the cooked food.